Monday, December 15, 2008

Fishin' for ideas

I was wondering how to repurpose the empty milk carton this AM (other than some of the obvious art projects)...When it dawned on me how my mother used to freeze seafood in repurposed milk cartons.

When I was a little girl, I used to love to go fishing with my father. When we came home with our 'catch'...and the fresh fish was prepared for consumption, my mother would put the fish in empty milk cartons, fill them with water (making sure that all parts of the fish were completely submerged in water) then place the containers in the freezer. The fish would stay fresh tasting for months that way. (Of course, with our large family, I should have said 'weeks' that way :)


I also remember that she would freeze large blocks of juice to put in the bunch bowl, make frozen decorative ice candles, and freeze blocks of soup stock.
(As they say in Maine: My Mom was 'wicked smart'. I miss you Mom!)



Realtor GramEpat
technorati tag


No comments: