At the Recent Maine Association of Realtors®' Convention in Bar Harbor, PepTalk company owner and motivational speaker, John T. Jenkins offered a program on safety and self defense. He gave an interesting, informative and interactive presentation showing some of the choices that are available during personal self protection situations.
The National Association of Realtors® also recently produced a REALTOR® Safety Week Kit that was packed with powerful tools that you can use to build members’ awareness of potential on-the-job dangers and the proper procedures that can save lives.
This "10 Second Rule " article was part of the kit that was provided.
1 0 - S E C O N D R U L E
Inattention is one of the main reasons people find themselves in dangerous situations.
Take a few precious seconds during the course of your day to assess your surroundings.
Take 2 Seconds when you arrive at your destination.
• Is there any questionable activity in the area?
• Are you parked in a well-lit, visible location?
• Can you be blocked in the driveway by a prospect’s vehicle?
Take 2 Seconds after you step out of your car.
• Are there suspicious people around?
• Do you know exactly where you’re going?
Take 2 Seconds as you walk towards your destination.
• Are people coming and going or is the area unusually quiet?
• Do you observe any obstacles or hiding places in the parking lot or along
• Is anyone loitering in the area?
Take 2 Seconds at the door.
• Do you have an uneasy feeling as you’re walking in?
• Is someone following you in?
Take 2 Seconds as soon as you enter your destination.
• Does anything seem out of place?
• Is anyone present who shouldn’t be there or who isn’t expected?
10 Seconds TOTAL
Taking in your surroundings lets you spot and avoid danger. Make it a habit. Then
share it with someone else.
(Appeared in “What You Can Do About Safety,” REALTOR® Magazine, September 2000.
Courtesy Night Owl/Vector Security, Landover, MD.) PLEASE....Stay safe! REALTOR® gramEpat